Another b-e-a-utiful compiliation from Penguinbait. XFCE is now available for the Internet Tablet (Yes, the N770 and N800!). See below the announcement for a how-to install and links. (There are lots and lots of pictures ;) )
This is the release announcement direct from PB:
" XFCE :-)
What is there...
+ x11vnc : when starting vnc server (password is rootme)
REALVNC is also installed, both client and server, server works, but hangs when disconnected and cursor does not showwhen using xrdp. I compiled x11vnc which works well, you can use vncpasswd (realvnc) can be used to set vnc server password.
+ xrdp (Allows you to connect to n800 with MS Terminal services client using x11vnc)
+ Links : I started playing with the mime for links, this version plays avi/mpeg after downloading with mplayer. Shoutcast.com links start
+ sylpheed : email (works great, but menu setup is difficult)
+ gaim, gftp, mousepad editor, epdf, gpmgep (mp3 player), gqview (image viewer, fullscreen slideshow)
+ su tar bzip2 grep ping telnet ftp nmap hdparm mpg123 aterm xterm
+ xdaliclock (Fullscreen Clock), xdesktopwaves, xpenguins, explosions, xlock
+ wmSMPmon, wmcpuload, wmmemfree, wmnd, wmnetload, wmupmon, wmagnify, wmfsm, wmmemmon, wmnet(not working inside wmdock), wmpiki, wmwifi, wmcdclock, wmifinfo, wmmon, wmsm, cputnik, asmem, Mixer, asmixer
(Not all dockapps are working, start up a dockapp and it will automagically be pulled into the xfce-wmdock holder. use the -bw or -w if available)
Submenus are not working on panel, submenus for hildon apps only seem to work when app is in fullscreen, some have more issues than others.
Menu's that are taller than the screen will not open at all, there are several menus as of right now :-)
Not all menu entries have icons
Enter key not working for minimo, hildon keyboard is available from the menu
xfce4-appfinder stopped working, it used to work? Now it seg faults
Booting from XFCE, While it does boot from XFCE, its not working properly, the trash icon is missing from desktop if boot from XFCE, and audio devices are not working.
This is setup on a n800 with , 770 users please report"
Ok, so... what does that mean? It means that 99% of XFCE is working if you follow this little guide... (It'll look very familiar ;) OH! KDE and XFCE cannot be on the same system! They will kill each other on the IT! So, either new partition or different card if you want to keep KDE!)
1. Do this. (Warning: This will erase ALL data on your MMC card! Be careful to save anything you wish to save!)
2. Follow these instructions.
3. Boot from the MMC card.
4. Download this OR if that link is not working this and place it in "/" "root" on your tablet. (Ubuntu and Debian users can do this with gFTP)
5. Now, open an X-term on you tablet or an SSH session connected to it. Sign in as root, either through "gainroot" or through SSH.
6. Run these commands...
apt-get install bzip2
/tar-temp/bin/tar jxvf XFCE-6-INSTALL.tar.bz2
7. That will take... forever. So, let it go for a while. You may have to re-do the last command of step six, sometimes tar goes awry ;)
8. Restart the tablet then run this command as root...
9. Restart the Tablet and boot from the MMC, there should now be an option under "Extras" for XFCE
If you guys love this as much as I do, please consider donating so PB can spend more time on awesome stuff like this. Send mail to email@example.com for information on how you can donate!
Ok everyone, enjoy! Till next time!